It wasn’t until the 1930s that Port Macquarie began to appreciate the benefit of having a golf course to attract and entertain tourists. The game of golf was growing in popularity and the golf links location on the Flagstaff headland and practically right on the beach was also a drawcard. Some of the greens and fairways overlooked the ocean. It was reported that many holiday makers played golf whilst their children played on the nearby beach, practically under their parents’ eyes. In 1933 it was thought that almost half of Port Macquarie’s visitors were golfing tourists.