Milk Jug, c1930

Before Port Macquarie’s modern day cafes and restaurants, there were refreshment rooms and oyster saloons. In 1911, W McGrath opened a fruit shop, restaurant and oyster saloon, offering ‘a first class oyster supper for those in need of such a treat’. William Doak opened his refreshment rooms in 1928 offering meals, including oyster suppers, at any time and an assortment of pastry goods. The refreshment rooms later became the Niagara Café.